Some questions from different interviews.
1. Is there a story behind your deviantART name?
Tistelmark means where the thistles grow in Swedish. I choose this name because thistles symbolize for me the wilderness, which the society and the traditions (the culture) can´t control.
For me it is important to have a critical attitude to my own culture. It takes more courage to be critical of your own culture than other cultures, because we are part of it . I believe that creativity is born out of independence from cultural patterns and traditions. A will to create.. I also believe it is important to question your own opinions.
2. Do you draw from imagination or from life?
I create most pictures from my imagination. When I paint trees and landscapes, I have neither a photo nor a scenery for inspiration. Maybe people like my trees because I paint them directly from my mind.
3. Do you favor one art medium over another? Why?
I like watercolor because I've learned to control the technique better than other techniques. It is possible both to create more uncontrolled with the technique "wet on wet" in watercolor technique, while it is also possible to create details with "wet on dry" watercolor technique. And I like the contrast between "wet on dry" techniques and "wet on wet" technique. Unfortunately I feel that my paintings are to much "wet on dry" and too little "wet on wet". With other words, I would like to paint more uncontrolled.
4. What inspired you to draw and paint?
I want to find the ultimate feeling in the creation of my art, with every stroke of the brush and with every movement of the pencil. For me it is also inspiring to do something to the best of my ability and to push myself to the limit, instead of following routine
5. Who inspired you into drawing/painting?
My mother, we painted together when I was little.
6. What's more important, content or technique?
I put more emphasis on motives than technique in comparison with many other watercolor painters in Sweden. The most important thing is to express something when you paint which you can do both with technique and motives.
7. Do you have any special tips or "secrets" you can share with other ?
Create emptiness in your life, do not sit in front of television, computer, or mobile screens all the time, even a too frequent use of Devianart destroys your creativity. Create what you feel is right, not what you think the environment wants you to create.
8. Can you possibly share with me the technique that you used for this? How you went about painting with the watercolors, and the process in general?
How I do:
* I usually start with a weak drawing. I use graphite pencils, it is different for different paintings.
* I paint the foreground on dry paper and the background on half wet or dry paper.
* It is very important that you always use a variety of shades of color that you mix up. I often tone down the colors in some part of my paintings.
* I Work always very slow with thin layers of color.
* I use extreme small brushes.
* My deep fascination for trees have helped me to paint them. This allows me to paint trees directly from my head, and it gives the trees more feeling than trees which are painted from photographs.
9. which is your favorite quote?"Art is the most intense form of individualism that the world knows.” Oscar Wilde
For me art is individuality, not the capitalist consumer society we live in.